Skip to main content

Full text of "2016 Emails Between Wilshire Center BID And The City Of LA or Tara Devine"

See other formats

Subject:  October  201 6 Street  Talk
From:  LA  Great  Streets
Date:  10/11/2016  01:35  PM

STREET  TALK

October  201 6

Councilmember  Bob  Blumenfield  joins  Reseda  residents  to  plant  over  30  trees  on  Sherman  Way.

Update  your  subscription

Tweet

H Forward

Welcome  to  the  October  2016  edition  of  Street  Talk,  the  Great  Streets  Initiative's
monthly  newsletter!  Here,  we'll  update  you  on  the  work  happening  in  our  studio  and  out
on  the  streets.  If  you're  reading  this  and  need  more  great  news  in  your  life,  check  out
our  new  website,  like  us  on  Facebook.  follow  us  on  Twitter,  or  double-tap  us

on  Instaaram.

IN  THIS  ISSUE:

September  Recap

• Reminders:  Upcoming  Events  and  Workshops

• Councilmember  Corner:  Marqueece  Harris  - Dawson

See  you  on  the  street!

-The  Great  Streets  team

September  Recap

Top  Row:  Last  year's  Connect  the  Dots  Event,  which  was  put  together  by  a recipient  that  won  the  first
round  of  the  Grant  Challenge.  Bottom  Row:  Body  painting  at  Mar  Vista  Art  Walk  for  their  Arts  as
Activation  Event  (left),  The  NoHo  Plaza  before  the  Arts  as  Activation  Event  took  place  (right)

2016  Great  Streets  Challenge  Is  Live

On  September  20,  Mayor  Eric  Garcetti  launched  the  2016  Great  Streets  Challenge,
inviting  Angelenos  to  turn  their  visions  for  Los  Angeles  streets  into  reality.  Administered
by  Great  Streets  and  the  Department  of  City  Planning,  the  Great  Streets  Challenge
aims  to  create  strong  community  partnerships  and  make  positive  change  on  our
streets  in  our  neighborhoods.  This  year,  you  can  apply  for  the  Great  Streets  Challenge
for  any  street  in  Los  Angeles.  Selected  applicants  will  receive  outreach  grants  of  up
to  $13,000,  technical  assistance,  and  dedicated  City  construction  resources  totaling  $2
million  for  both  temporary  “Pop-up  Projects”  and  permanent  “Build  Projects.”  Apply  now
at  laareatstreets.org/201 6-challenae!

Arts  as  Activation

Over  at  our  Tumblr,  Great  Streets  Director  Naomi  Iwasaki  recaps  our  experiences
working  with  communities  to  activate  streets  with  art  and  culture.  Naomi  highlights  how
projects  in  Mar  Vista,  Historic  South  Central,  North  Hollywood,  and  Boyle  Heights
shifted  people's  perspectives  to  think  of  our  streets  as  public  spaces  and  encouraged
cultural  programming  to  activate  this  space  with  people.  Thanks  to  the  Department  of
Cultural  Affairs  for  being  our  agency  leader  of  the  Arts  Activation  Fund.  Click  here  to
appl  for  an  Arts  Activation  Fund  grant  for  your  neighborhood  Great  Street!

Tree  Planting  on  Sherman  Way

Councilmember  Bob  Blumenfield  and  Reseda  residents  came  together  on  October  1 to
plant  over  30  trees  on  Sherman  Way.  The  new  trees  will  enhance  the  comfort,
sustainability,  and  beauty  of  the  corridor.  Residents  learned  how  to  properly  plant  and
care  for  their  newly  planted  trees  thanks  to  CityPlants  and  the  Los  Angeles
Conservation  Corps.

Great  Streets  Wins  at  New  Urbanism  Film  Festival

At  last  week's  New  Urbanism  Film  Festival,  Great  Streets  took  home  some  hardware
for  our  short  film  capturing  the  2015  Great  Streets  Challenge  projects.  Thanks  to  the
festival  organizers,  our  amazing  eight  Challenge  teams  from  last  year,  and  our  film's
producer,  Erin  Heidenreich!  Click  above  to  watch  our  now-award-winning  short.

Upcoming  Events

2016  Great  Streets  Challenge  Workshop

FREE  EVENT!

Department  of  City  Planning  Eric

City  of  Las  Angeles  Garcetti

Sr*  iw

LKXn

grTat  Streets  challenge

API  ICANT  WORKSHOP

RSVP

LAGREATSTREETS.ORG

This  Saturday  October  15,  Great  Streets  will  host  an  in-person  workshop  at  City  Flail  to
give  an  overview  of  the  2016  Challenge  and  assist  prospective  applicants.  Bring  your
ideas  and  questions  and  we'll  work  with  you  to  strengthen  your  application.

Can't  make  our  in-person  workshop?  Check  out  our  webinar  October  26.  Check  out
our  website  to  RSVP  and  get  all  the  details  and,  don't  forget,  the  deadline  for
applications  is  November  18!

Big  City  Forum:  Talleres  Publicos

October  15,  22

Big  City  Forum:

Saturday  O

TaWeres

Publicos

Noe  Montes  is  an  award  winning  photographer
based  in  Los  Angeles.  He  has  been  making  images
for  20  years  with  a strong  focus  on  community  and
social  justice  issues.

Noe  Montes  es  un  galardonado  fotografo  con'sede
en  Los  Angeles.  El  ha  estado  haciendo  imagenes
durante  20  ahos  con  un  fuerte  enfoaue  en  asuntos
de  la  comunidad  y la  justicia  sc

CD

>Z‘’:hoK  "**

cn

0)

3

T3

3

Pacoima,  CA  91331

19

big  City  forum

Talleres  Publicos  is  coming  to  Pacoima  City  Hall  on  Van  Nuys  Boulevard  this  October.
The  program  features  workshops  in  a variety  of  fields  like  art,  poetry,  design,
photography,  and  social  and  community  activism.  Come  out  to  Talleres  Publicos  on
Saturday  October  15  and  22  from  1 1 :00  am  to  1 :00  pm.  Clack  here  for  more  information.

LA2050  Challenge  Public  Voting

HOW  CAN  ANGELENOS  COLLECTIVELY
HELP  GUIDE  $1,000,000  IN  GRANTS  TO
BUILD  THE  LA2050  OF  OUR  DREAMS?

Submit  a project  proposal  for  $25,000,  $50,000,  or
$100,000  to  help  make  Los  Angeles  a better  place  to:

LEARN  CREATE  PLAY  CONNECT  LIVE

1

Public  voting

SEP  6,  2016  - OCT  4,  2016

| OCT  18,  2016  - OCT  25,  2016

Admissions  accepted

MTLA2050

GRANTS  CHALLENGE
CHALLENGE.LA2050.ORG

Applications  are  in  for  the  My  LA  2050  Grants  Challenge.  Now  it's  time  to  vote  and  help
decide  which  creative  ideas  for  a better  LA  will  get  up  to  $100,000  in  funding!  Polls  are
open  from  Oct  1 8 to  25,  so  head  over  to  the  My  LA  2050  website.

Councilmember  Corner:
Marqueece  Harris  - Dawson

Councilmember  Marqueece  Harris-Dawson  took  office  in  July  2015.  As  a proud  South
Los  Angeles  resident,  Councilmember  Harris-Dawson  is  a champion  for  safe  and
vibrant  streets  and  public  spaces  in  Council  District  8.  His  priorities  include  helping
Angelenos  experiencing  homelessness  and  improving  economic  opportunities  for  all
Angelenos.

Q.  What  are  three  things  that  make  a street  great  to  you?

A.  Lighting,  walkability,  and  greenery/art  are  the  building  blocks  to  a great  street  that
can  support  a great  community.  A truly  great  street  must  be  a place  where  residents
can  meet,  exchange  ideas,  be  inspired,  and  engage  with  small  businesses.  Lighting,
safety,  walkability,  green  space,  and  art  are  the  infrastructure  that  you  may  not  even
notice,  but  together,  they  create  an  atmosphere  that  makes  you  want  to  stay  and  enjoy
the  streets.

Q.  What  would  your  ideal  improvements  be  for  your  Great  Street,  Crenshaw
Blvd?

A.  The  focus  for  my  Great  Street  on  Crenshaw  Boulevard  is  safety,  greening,  and  art.
The  corner  of  Crenshaw  and  Florence  is  currently  full  of  concrete,  car-centric,  and  is
on  the  High  Injury  Network,  meaning  it  is  one  of  the  most  dangerous  intersections  in
Los  Angeles.  In  order  to  make  this  intersection  safe  for  the  hundreds  of  pedestrians
that  visit  and  live  in  this  area,  we  need  to  change  how  people  and  cars  interact  and
bring  green  space  and  art  to  that  community.

Q.  As  Vice-Chair  of  the  Planning  and  Land  Use  Management  Committee,  what
important  connections  do  you  see  between  land  use  and  a vibrant  street?

A.  Planning  and  land  use  are  critical  to  transforming  streets  across  the  city.  By
planning  streetscapes  to  include  walkable  elements  and  excellent  traffic  management,
corridors  become  a place  where  people  want  to  visit.  By  ensuring  compatible
development  throughout  a corridor,  small  businesses  can  thrive.

Q.  What  is  your  favorite  place  to  visit  on  the  Crenshaw  Great  Street  corridor?

A.  I am  a big  fan  of  7-Eleven's  coffee  in  the  morning  and  a brand  new  7-  Eleven  just
opened  on  the  corner  of  Crenshaw  and  Florence.

Q.  As  Chair  of  the  Homelessness  Committee,  what  plans  and  initiatives  to
advocate  for  people  experiencing  homelessness  in  South  LA  are  you  most  proud
of?

A.  Every  time  I speak  with  residents  across  the  City  of  Los  Angeles,  they  tell  me  that

they  are  concerned  about  homelessness  and  really  want  to  do  something  to  help
people.  I am  very  excited  by  Proposition  HHH  which  will  be  on  the  ballot  in  November
and  will  generate  $1 .2  Billion  over  the  next  10  years  to  build  permanent  supportive
housing.  I believe  this  is  the  beginning  of  the  end  of  homelessness  as  we  know  it.

r i

Subscribe  to  Street  Talk

b !

@®©®@©

Website  Email  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Tumblr

This  email  was  sent  to  mike@wilshirecenter.com
why  did  I get  this?  unsubscribe  from  this  list  update  subscription  preferences
Los  Angeles  Great  Streets  Initiative,  Office  of  Mayor  Eric  Garcetti  ■ 200  N Spring  St.  ■ Los  Angeles,  CA  90012  ■ USA